Guidance Turning Your Prototype into Full Production.
You’ve designed a successful electronic product, and you want to launch it in full production in low to mid volume quantities.
At DCA Manufacturing, we can help guide you through your new product introduction so it is optimized for manufacturing, often called Design for Manufacturability (DFM).
Each of our manufacturing engineers has over 20 years of industry experience and can help you avoid common pitfalls in designing your product so it is ready for manufacturing at our facility. Getting DCA Manufacturing involved early in your project assures a smooth process fully optimized for manufacturing. Common areas we provide guidance include:
- Board tooling strip and tooling hole specs
- Optimizing panelization array of your PCB
- Adding of fiducials and local fiducials for fine pitch components like Ball Grid Arrays (BGAs)
- Consulting on v-groove and routing to optimize your board
- Verifying solder masking is correct to avoid bridging
- Working with board house to install bad board markers, impedance test strips/coupons, test stacks
- Verification of board rigidity proper for manufacturing
- Consultation of solder types
- Conversion of Gerber to CAD
- Component ordering overage and leader guidelines
Standards & Guidelines
Our team uses and is certified in IPC standards and guidelines, including IPC-A-610 J-Std 001, to outline workmanship criteria for your project. These guidelines are used as best practice outlines for:
- Component Orientation and Soldering Criteria for through-hole
- Surface Mount Technology (SMT) setup procedures
- Discrete Wiring Assemblies
- Mechanical Assembly
- Cleaning, marking, coating and laminate requirements
- Lead-free Guidelines
A Couple of Great DFM Videos
Here are a couple of extremely helpful videos for designing your board for manufacturing.
Design for Manufacture Video 1
A how-to guide to taking your electronics project from prototype through to high volume PCB manufacture. Covers component selection and purchasing, SMD, DFM, PCB panelisation, gerber generation, drill files, pick and place files, and more.
Design for Manufacture Video 2
A follow up to Dave’s popular PCB Design For Manufacture (DFM) tutorial video. This time he updates his uCurrent PCB for production, including panelisation layout and component reel selection. Lots of the same ground is covered as in part 1, but with a specific real project example.
Our manufacturing engineers are experienced with quality systems, and can provide quality performance data for continuous process improvement. At DCA Manufacturing, every project is tracked to Level 4 traceability, which means we can help you improve the quality of every assembly leaving our facility.